In a recent blog, “Is a Smart Home For You?” I looked at the many benefits a smart home can provide. In this blog, I look at what homebuyers are looking for in a “green home.” Granted, green homes aren’t always “smart” homes, and smart homes aren’t always “green.” It’s possible, however, to create a “smart green home,” and it seems like that’s what many homebuyers are looking for these days.
According to the latest data from the 2014 Profile of Home Buyers and Sellers, and the 2015 Home Buyer and Seller Generational Trends report, green and energy-efficient homes are extremely popular among homebuyers today. In fact, many buyers cited green/energy-efficient factors as a reason for their new home purchase and how important various features were to them when they chose their dream home.
Here’s a snapshot based on the most popular going green features that can attract homebuyers:
- 68% are looking for energy efficient appliances
- 47% are looking to purchase a home in an environmentally friendly community (like we have here in Napa Valley!)
- 11% of homebuyers want solar panels on their new house
- 86% are looking to save on heating and cooling costs by going green
- 66% want energy efficient lighting for a new home
- 46% are looking for energy conserving landscaping, which is so important in California due to our on-going drought
- 10% of homebuyer’s ages 34 and younger are searching for newly built homes that are already loaded with green efficiency amenities
- 9% of the 35-49 year olds and 60-68 year olds are also citing energy efficiency as a reason to purchase a newly built home
As you can see, going green is not only good for our environment, it’s also good for anyone planning on selling their home. When I built my new home, I installed solar for the pool in tubing under the concrete. I’d be delighted to share more information on energy efficiency measures that I adopted in during the design phase, as well as intel on recent public and private sales. Feel free to contact me at 707-738-4820 or email [email protected]. As a top producing Realtor® in Napa Valley, I have access to some extraordinary wineries, vineyards, estates and homes in Napa, Yountville, Saint Helena and Calistoga that are not on the open market. The inventory is extraordinary right now and each and every property has spectacular views. I look forward to helping you buy or sell your property in this beautiful part of the world.